To ‘SEO’ or not to ‘SEO’ in 2014
The student’s posts are entirely his or her own views and may not always reflect the views of Webgrowth.
The term ‘SEO’ is relatively new within South Africa and many entrepreneurs are left in despair when confronted with this strange acronym. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and is the forefront of digital marketing.
In a nutshell SEO is a process that increases a websites visibility(ranking) within a search engines results page for a specific keyword or search phrase.
Firstly, it is very important to understand how search engines operate. My favorite feature about modernSearch Engines is that they are able to return Information within a fraction of a second.
Popular SE’s (Search Engines) within South Africa include Yahoo, Bing and the magnanimous Google search engine. Millions of people are gaining access to the internet each year and this forces businesses to increase their online presence.
11 points about SEO which business owners should know:
- User – experience is priority.
- Effective keyword research is the first step to a successful SEO campaign.
- On site optimization – Changing elements of a web page and content around a targeted keyword.
- Off site SEO - link building, this process requires the most effort and creativity.
- Social Media Marketing plays a major role in an effective SEO campaign.
- SEO can increase organic traffic (visitors to your website).
- Sufficient and quality content can improve user-experience resulting in higher ranking.
- Investing in SEO costs less than other forms of marketing and the effects of a solid campaign can last long.
- Search engine optimization requires PATIENCE. It is likely that your competition is using SEO, analyzing your competition and developing an effective SEO strategy takes longer than you think.
- No one but Search Engines have full control over the SEO landscape.
- SEO friendly and responsive web design is the foundation to a successful SEO campaign.
Michael Witbooi and his employer, Web SEO, have been approved by Webgrowth. You are in safe hands.